Your Hometown News Source

Major damage averted in fires

Below-freezing temperatures seemed to spawn a few residential fires related to wood-burning stoves or fireplaces last week, including this residence at 724 S. 5th, Dayton, where District No. 3 fire fighters responded at about 10:30 Wednesday evening, February 23. Smoke briefly poured from the chimney and exited through the open front door, but fire fighters were able to quickly contain it. On Sunday, Feb. 20, a residence in Columbia County at 222 Gwinn Road, sustained substantial smoke damage. Responding fire units and personnel were able to keep the fire contained to one room where it burned surface wood paneling but didn't get into the wall or reach into the attic, according to District 3 Chief Jeromy Phinney. The first unit was on scene within six minutes of the initial call, responding from Turner Station, and were on scene for about two hours. Fire trucks were summoned to the 100 block of Cameron Street at about 7:25 p.m. on Saturday, February 19, where a stove fire caused minor damage to the stove, a cabinet and smoke in the residence.

 
 
Rendered 07/07/2024 00:49