Your Hometown News Source

Articles from the October 28, 2021 edition

Sorted by date  Results 1 - 18 of 18

  • General Election Ballots due Nov. 2

    Loyal Baker|Oct 28, 2021

    DAYTON–Voters here and in Columbia County have until 8 p.m. on November 2 to mail or deliver their ballots to the Columbia County Auditor for tallying. In Columbia County and Dayton there are several contested races involving seats on the Dayton City Council, Dayton School Board and the Port of Columbia. Voters who reside in areas of Columbia County that are within the Prescott Joint Park and Recreation District will be casting their votes on other measures and for a variety of candidates. S... Full story


    Loyal Baker|Oct 28, 2021

    DAYTON–Trick or Treaters out on Halloween shouldn’t have much trouble finding sweets and goodies in Our Fair City. The excitement toward Sunday, October 31 and Official Halloween begins on Friday in Dayton. Columbia County Health System is inviting Halloween Trick or Treaters to visit the Dayton General Hospital Campus on Friday, October 29, from 3-5 p.m., for treats. Children, accompanied by an adult, are invited to start at the Administration Building and walk to Booker Rest Home to tri...

  • Marinella announces retirement, 2022 County budget reviews begin

    Melissa Gemmell|Oct 28, 2021

    DAYTON-The Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) began 2022 preliminary budget hearings on Friday, October 22, and these meetings will continue over the next couple weeks from the various Columbia County departments. Judge Scott Marinella and Administrator Diane Dill were present to go over the proposed budget for District Court. At that time Marinella announced his retirement to begin in January after 20 years of "sitting on the bench." He provided the Commissioners with his recommendations and...

  • Hospital District breaks ground for assisted living units

    Loyal Baker|Oct 28, 2021

    DAYTON–The dream for Dayton residents wishing to "age in place" looks to be coming true. That concept took a step toward realization last week when ground was broken for a cluster of assisted-living residences next door to the entrance to Dayton General Hospital. Local residents in the geriatric set will be able to reside in residential units specially designed to accommodate their need for extra attention a step below the level that might be seen in a skilled-nursing facility like Booker R...


    Oct 28, 2021

    DAYTON–In last week’s newspaper, Marchand Hovrud was identified as withdrawing from the City Council Position No. 5 race. Hovrud’s name is on the ballot as a candidate for City Council and she has not withdrawn from the election....

  • Quote of the Week

    Oct 28, 2021

    “The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more.” – Jonas Salk... Full story

  • Guest Commentary

    Jason Mercier|Oct 28, 2021

    The legislature worked hard to keep voters from weighing in directly on the new capital gains income tax with a laughable emergency clause to prevent our right of referendum. Though some call non-binding tax advisory votes also laughable, voters will nonetheless get a chance to voice an opinion on the new capital gains income tax. The Seattle Times editorial page and Tax Foundation recently highlighted Advisory Vote 37 on whether to repeal the new capital gains income tax. From the Seattle...

  • Letters to the Editor

    Oct 28, 2021

    To the editor, Columbia County Needs Positive, Nonpartisan, Inclusive, Qualified Candidates I received a flyer identifying "Columbia County Conservatives" (CCC) endorsing Conservative candidates for Dayton City Council, Port of Columbia and Dayton School Board positions. This political group professes that over the 200+ years since our country's founding, the US has done remarkably well living up to the goals improving the human condition, free from rule by a person, or body, not beholden to...

  • On the Edge of Common Sense

    Baxter Black|Oct 28, 2021

    It was a severe case of vegetable defamation, the makin's of a landmark case of harassment and abuse. The plaintiff, a Miss Parsley was demanding compensation of one Paul Pierre Potato and, to-be-specified produce. "So how do you plead, Mr. Tater?" "Not guilty but let me relate I'm a victim of mass inflammation,au gratined and smeared on a plate, laid next to a lecherous cutlet whose gravy kept touching my cheese. It was all I could do to keep silent. Then I felt the promiscuous peas. Nudging...

  • General Election Candidates

    Oct 28, 2021

    I am Korinda Wallace and I am running for the Dayton School Board, Position 1. I moved to Dayton 6 years ago from a small ranching community in Central Oregon, and I immediately felt as though my beliefs and values fit perfectly with those in Columbia County. I was homeschooled in a Conservative Christian household, which has given me a heart to serve others. I am currently serving my community through church activities, volunteering with the Columbia County 4-H and FFA Livestock Sales Committee, and attending as many school board meetings as... Full story

  • General Election Candidates

    Oct 28, 2021

    David D. Bailey, candidate for Dayton School Board Position 1, declined submitting a statement.... Full story

  • From the Dayton Chronicle archives

    Kaye Eaton|Oct 28, 2021

    Ten Years Ago October, 2011 The manager of Dayton Wine Works announced this week that the popular Dayton Wine Works, known for its focus on local music and Washington wine, will expand downtown at 232 E. Main. Twenty-Five Years Ago October 28, 1996 The Dayton Lion Club members Sarah and Kennard Literal, Jan and Owen Agenbroad, Roger Trump, Michelle Lindleu, Bill and Wanda Carney, Terry Hoon, Donna and Sherm Thomas, Kevin Floyd, Elsie Robins, Sal Benavides, Dehlia Wiley, and Gary and Barbara Rennaker donated finds for a Library magnifying...

  • Obituary

    Oct 28, 2021

    Douglas Dean Lambert April 26, 1936 – October 6, 2021 Douglas Dean Lambert, 85, lifetime Dayton resident, passed away October 6, 2021, at the Walla Walla Veterans Home from complications of Parkinson’s disease. Doug was the son of Loren and Mabel McQuary Lambert McKinney. Born in Dayton, Doug grew up on the family farm along with his younger sister Rita. In high school he met Darlene Joyce Ferron of Newport, Wash. They were married on June 11, 1956 in Spokane. Doug continued farming on the Whetstone farm with Darlene and family Dan, Mark, and...

  • Death Notice

    Oct 28, 2021

    Chester M. Powers Chester M. Powers, born September 7, 1925, died October 14, 2021. Arrangements are in the care of Mountain View-Colonial DeWitt, 1551 The Dalles Military Rd, Walla Walla, Wash....

  • Dayton Weekly Weather

    Oct 28, 2021

    Thursday: A 20 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. Southwest wind 15 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Thursday Night: A 40 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Friday: Rain likely, mainly before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 59. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 35. Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 54. Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 33. Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 51. Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around... Full story

  • River View manhandles Wolfpack 66-0

    Loyal Baker|Oct 28, 2021

    FINLEY–Injuries to key players played a role alongside youth and inexperience in Dayton-Waitsburg's 66-0 loss to the River View Panthers here Thursday, October 22. The Wolfpack will finish the season Friday in Waitsburg versus Columbia-Burbank. It will be Senior Night with a 7 p.m. kick off. "I expected the whole game to play out like the first quarter, but the injury bug caught us," said Coach Troy Larsen. "We lost four players to injuries starting with senior Brayden Mohney (wide r...

  • Lady Wolfpack "focused" in five-set loss to Lady Pioneers

    Loyal Baker|Oct 28, 2021

    WAITSBURG–The Lady Wolfpack played with emotion and intensity, competing with the Mac-Hi Lady Pioneers down to the wire but dropping the non-league match in five intense sets here last Saturday. DW played its final match of the season last Tuesday at TriCities Prep. Results will be in next week's newspaper. The Lady Wolfpack pounded Mac-Hi in the first set, 25-8 and won the second set 25-18. But the Lady Pioneers' momentum was building and they rallied with two wins, 25-18 and 27-25-a hard-fough...

  • Homecoming Court

    Oct 28, 2021

    The Homecoming Court for 2021 are, from left to right, Freshmen Prince Jacob Sabin and Princess Dakota Griffin; Sophomore Prince Cayle Davis and Princess Wyntr McCauley; Junior Prince Hudson Reser and Princess Mohala Bramer; Senior Princess Tristian Cush and Damian Johnson and Princesses Mackenzie Faith and Elaina Gembala; and King Jesse Gant and Queen Aria Woodend. -Photo courtesy of Sarinda Carrigan...