Your Hometown News Source

Articles from the August 31, 2023 edition


Sorted by date  Results 1 - 18 of 18

  • Your neighbor needs a kidney

    Charlotte Baker|Aug 31, 2023

    DAYTON–Organ donation is a gift of life for the giver and the receiver, and here locally, Lisa Naylor is in need of a new kidney. Naylor recently spoke to the Walla Walla Valley Quilters Guild at their spring potluck about needing a kidney transplant. The news was well received, spurring an organ donor to speak up about organ donation. When Naylor spoke to the quilters, she informed the group that she has a genetic form of kidney disease that is at the critical stage requiring a transplant. S...

  • Columbia County Hospital District receives grant for child-care facility

    Aug 31, 2023

    OLYMPIA–Columbia County Public Hospital District No. 1 will receive $413,000 in grant funding from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to build spend improve infrastructure for the childcare facility in Dayton. Columbia County Public Hospital District will use the grant from the USDA’s Community Facilities Program, to renovate a building to create a new childcare facility, Touchet Valley Childcare Center in Dayton. The USDA is investing over $800 million nationally to build and improve critical infrastructure that will benefit people in...

  • Library cards provide another layer of protection

    Melissa Gemmell|Aug 31, 2023

    DAYTON-The Columbia County Rural Library Board of Trustees (CCRLD) were briefed on the process for parental notes on library cards; acknowledged the Library Dissolution proposition is now on the ballot; heard discussion on setting a time to review the policy of collection development; discussion on employee weapon policy; suspending book buying during the August 21 meeting. Enlightening discussion and suggestions were made by local residents through the public comment period. CCRLD Board...

  • Citizen Appreciation Day at City Hall

    Aug 31, 2023

    Dayton City Hall staff hosted the community to a citizen appreciation barbecue last week, serving hotdogs, chips and water to local folks on the sidewalk in front of City Hall on South 1st Street. Business was brisk for the group, which included Public Works Director Ryan Paulson, Clerk-Treasurer Deb Hays, and Deputy City Clerk Misty Yost and City Staff member Connie Westergreen. Also taking a turn in the lineup was Mayor Zac Weatherford and Planner Clark Posey, not pictured. -Chronicle...

  • Quote of the Week

    Aug 31, 2023

    “I always entertain great hopes.” – Robert Frost... Full story

  • No injuries as a result of car fire Sunday

    Aug 31, 2023

    Fire engulfed the vehicle driven by Audelia A. Peralta of Dayton Sunday morning on State Route 12 near Huntsville. The 2014 Toyota Scion XB she was driving caught fire after the driver heard a loud "pop," according to a Columbia County Sheriff's Office report. Peralta pulled off the road and a passerby helper her open the hood, but flames were out of control, despite being hit by fire extinguishers from people passing the scene. Fire District No. 2 responded to put out the fire. A small fire,...

  • Vote will only count toward the candidates of party declared on the envelope

    Aug 31, 2023

    OLYMPIA–The political party declarations that voters must sign when participating in the 2024 Presidential Primary were certified by Secretary of State Steve Hobbs Tuesday, August 29. Only those candidates of the party declared on the envelope will count. Washington's voters do not register as members of a political party. However, state law RCW 29A.56.050 requires voters to declare on their ballot envelopes whether their party of preference is Republican or Democratic to have their votes counte...

  • Forest Education Association fall meeting to be held locally

    Aug 31, 2023

    WAITSBURG–The Blue Mountain Chapter of the Washington Farm Forestry Association (WFFA) will hold its fall meeting at The Barn on Stella’s Homestead, 2194 S. Fork Coppei Road on September 16 at 9:30 a.m. A woods tour focusing on improving wildlife, forest health and fisheries management will be the focus. All forestland owners and interested public are welcome. Special guest Ken Bevis, Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Stewardship Wildlife Biologist, will speak to landowners wanting to improve their forest land to enhance wildlife, fis...

  • Restrictions eased on the Umatilla National Forest

    Aug 31, 2023

    PENDLETON-Umatilla National Forest officials have reduced public use restrictions (PURs) to PHASE A, which is the first level of restrictions that are generally implemented when the fire danger is moderate to high, effective August 24. PURS are phased in collectively, as conditions warrant, and may differ from Forest to Forest. Restrictions under Phase A include: •Chainsaws may be operated only between the hours of 8 p.m. and 1 p.m. local time. A one-hour fire watch is required after saw o...

  • Letters to the Editor

    Aug 31, 2023

    To the editor, I am concerned about the current situation with our library. It makes no sense to me that anyone would want to close such a valuable resource in our county. When the first petition to close the library showed up at the Senior Center, I read it (as I was taught to read anything before, I sign) and was immediately incensed that this was in the works! Then, I read some of the letters to the editor in the Chronicle. This motivated me to go do my own research. I do not listen to...

  • Federal funding expands broadband access in rural America

    Aug 31, 2023

    Access to reliable, affordable, high-speed internet continues to be a challenge in rural America, and its absence denies residents, industries, and small businesses a vital service. Without broadband access, rural residents are often excluded from online educational opportunities, the ability to work remotely, and healthcare innovations such as telehealth. Rural small businesses struggle to contend with online competitors enjoying ample cloud computing and lightning-fast broadband speeds. Rural industries, including precision agriculture, are u...

  • Weather Forecast

    Aug 31, 2023

    Thursday: A 40 percent chance of showers, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 71. Southwest wind around 10 mph. Thursday Night: A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm in the evening. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Friday: A 30 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 78. Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers...

  • From the Dayton Chronicle archives

    Kaye Eaton|Aug 31, 2023

    Ten Years Ago August 28, 2013 Local officials learned of late approval of a state budget bill granting a sales and use tax exemption to wind energy. As a result, Columbia County will lose 75% of the projected sales tax revenue anticipated from construction of the Tucannon River Wind Farm. Twenty-Five Years Ago August 26, 1998 Two Dayton High School cheerleaders were recently chosen to attend an international cheerleading conference in London, England. Liz Schilling, a junior, and Jamie Savage,...

  • Obituary

    Aug 31, 2023

    Valerie Ellen Powers February 14, 1957–August 23, 2023 Valerie Ellen Powers left us on the morning of August 23, 2023. Valerie was born in the old Dayton Hospital on February 14, 1957, to Eldred and Ellen (Moon) Want. She attended Dayton, Waitsburg and Prescott schools, and graduated from Prescott High School. She entered the U.S. Army. After her service, she lived in Prescott, Waitsburg, and Milton-Freewater. She enjoyed a lifelong love of her horses, hours spent with her grandchildren, and w...

  • Pastor's Corner

    Greg Brownell|Aug 31, 2023

    Recently an airline pilot made national news as a video recorded him taking an ax to a mechanical crossing arm that kept him from driving into a special part of the airport. As he struck with the ax again and again, he was expressing the frustration we often face when we are forced to wait, and we see no reason for it. Being patient while waiting can be difficult. There's nothing special about having to wait. We all must wait, whether it is in a doctor's office, grocery checkout line, or at a...

  • Middle School Volleyball

    Aug 31, 2023

    Middle School Volleyball The Dayton Middle School Volleyball team has a full schedule this season. Sept. 18-@ DeSales-4 p.m. Sept. 20-Prescott-4 p.m. Sept. 25-@ Waitsburg-4 p.m. Sept. 27-Liberty Christian(Rchld)-4 p.m. Oct. 2-DeSales-4 p.m. Oct. 4-Liberty Christian(WW) -4 p.m. Oct. 9-@ Prescott-4 p.m. Oct. 11-@ Touchet-4 p.m. Oct. 16-Wb-4 p.m. Oct. 18-@ Rogers-4 p.m....

  • Dayton Bulldog athletics is back in business

    Loyal Baker|Aug 31, 2023

    DAYTON–After seven years of a combined football program and four years of a full athletic partnership with Waitsburg High School, the Dayton Bulldog sports teams are readying for the upcoming fall sports seasons for the sports of football, volleyball and cheer....

  • Bulldog football competes at jamboree

    Loyal Baker|Aug 31, 2023

    DAYTON–The Dayton Bulldog Football Program kicked off its fall season with a jamboree in Pomeroy last Saturday and new Head Coach Lucas Collier saw both some good thing and some things the team will need to work on as it starts the 2023 campaign at home Friday against Sunnyside Christian. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at the Dayton Athletic Complex. Collier is positive about the students' response to Dayton reconstituting its football program under the District 9 1B Eight-Man conference, happy t...

Rendered 06/14/2024 05:36